- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cups cornflour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 10 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large egg yolks
- 450g caramel sauce or about 1 cup slow-cooker dulce de leche
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Into a large bowl, sift the flour, cornflour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. With mixer on a medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in vanilla, then egg yolks, 1 at a time. With mixer on low, beat in flour mixture until just combined, stopping and scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll half the dough to 0,5cm thick with a lightly floured rolling pin. With a 4cm round cutter, cut out rounds. With a small knife or mini offset spatula, transfer rounds to a large baking tray lined with baking paper, spacing 2,5cm apart. Reroll scraps once. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown underneath.
3. Let cookies cool on baking tray for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat rolling, cutting and baking with remaining dough.
4. To assemble, place caramel sauce in a piping bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe onto half the cookies. Top with
the remaining cookies. Sandwiches can be stored in airtight containers in the freezer for up to 1 month. Makes about 3 dozen.
EACH SANDWICH COOKIE
About 500kJ, 2g protein, 18g carbohydrate, 5g fat (3g saturated), 75mg sodium.