- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 500g beef mince
- 75g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 tbsp barbecue sauce
- Small handful parsley, roughly chopped
- Seasonal greens (optional)
1. Heat oil in a pot and gently fry onion for 10 minutes until softened. Add garlic and fry for 1 minute more. Tip into a large bowl and cool. Preheat oven to 190°C.
2. Mix mince, breadcrumbs, egg, dried herbs and plenty of seasoning into the onion bowl. Form mixture into a loaf shape and place in a roasting tin or baking dish. Cook for 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix canned tomatoes, beans, half the barbecue sauce and some seasoning. After the meatloaf has had its initial cooking, remove tin or dish from oven, brush over remaining barbecue sauce and empty bean mixture around the meatloaf. Return to oven for a further 15 minutes.
4. Scatter over parsley and serve with seasonal greens, if you like.
EACH SERVING: About 2 100kJ, 35g protein, 25g fat (9g saturated), 31g carbohydrate (9g total sugars), 7g fibre.