- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, fi nely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2,5cm fresh ginger, grated
- 410g can lentils, rinsed and drained
- 290g can Nestlé Sterilised Dessert Cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 x 150g salmon fi llets
- salt and pepper to taste
- handful fresh coriander, finely chopped
- fresh lemon slices or wedges, to serve
1. In a large pot, on a low heat, toast the mustard and cumin seeds until they give off a nutty aroma; be careful not to burn them. Set aside in a bowl.
2. In the same pot, heat half the olive oil over a low heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger, and soften for 10 minutes, adding a little water if the mixture looks like it might burn.
3. Tip the lentils and toasted seeds into the pot, then stir for a couple of minutes before pouring in the Nestlé Sterilised Dessert Cream. Bring to a gentle boil, then immediately cover the pot. Reduce the heat to a low setting and leave to simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring every now and then to make sure the mixture isn’t sticking. If it starts to get too thick, add a little water.
4. In a separate pan, heat the remaining olive oil and the butter. Place the salmon fillets in the pan, fl esh fi rst, and gently fry for 3 minutes or until crisp.
5. Turn over and season with salt and pepper. Fry the fi llets for another 3 minutes or until just cooked.
6. To serve, add the chopped coriander to the lentil dhal and plate into shallow bowls. Top each portion with a salmon fillet.
7. Garnish with lemon slices or wedges.