- 1 rump steak (500g)
- salt and pepper
- 5 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium bulbs fennel, cored, cut lengthwise into 1,5cm-thick slices
- 1 large red onion (200g to 300g), cut into 0,5cm-thick rounds
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3 tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- Prepare a braai or Weber for cooking on medium heat. Sprinkle steak with ¼ teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper to season both sides. Use 2 teaspoons oil to brush both sides of fennel and onion slices; sprinkle with ⅛ teaspoon salt.
- Braai or grill steak for 8 to 10 minutes for medium-rare or until cooked as desired, turning over once. Grill onion alongside steak for 7 to 9 minutes or until tender. Transfer steak to a cutting board; let it rest for 10 minutes. Transfer onion to a bowl.
- Meanwhile, to make the vinaigrette, finely chop mint and parsley; place in medium-sized bowl with vinegar, capers, garlic, 1 tablespoon water and remaining 3 teaspoons oil. Stir to blend.
- Place fennel on grill. Cover; cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned, turning over once. Toss with onion.
- Thinly slice steak. Serve with fennel, onion and vinaigrette.