- 400g tin of pilchards in brine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 30ml coconut oil
- 30ml coconut flour
- 3 eggs
- 250ml full-cream milk
- 5ml salt
- ground black pepper
- 5ml origanum
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a pie dish.
- Drain the pilchards and mash them with a fork.
- Lightly fry the onion in the coconut oil. Add the onion to the fish and stir.
- Now add the coconut flour and eggs, and stir well.
- Lastly, add the milk, salt, pepper and origanum, and mix.
- Pour all this into the pie dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- The pie firms up on standing, so leave it for 10 minutes before slicing.
‘Oily fish like pilchards are typically cold, deep-water fish, which means they will be rich in omega-3 fatty acids, DHA and EPA. These are anti-inflammatory and wonderful for mood and brain function.’