- 1 garlic bulb
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary or thyme
- 50g butter, softened salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium chicken (about 1,6kg)
- 1 lemon
- 750g baby potatoes
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 300ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp caramelised onion relish or chutney
- double cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 190°C.
2. Crush one garlic clove and put it in a small bowl. Pick the leaves from half the herb sprigs, roughly chop and add to the garlic bowl with the butter and plenty of seasoning. Stir together until combined.
3. Lift up the neck flap of the chicken and use your fingers to ease the skin gently away fr om the breast meat – work all the way down the sides of the breasts and towards the legs. Push half the butter mixture between the skin and the meat to cover the whole breast area. Pull the neck flap down and secure with a skewer or cocktail sticks. Halve the lemon and place one half in the cavity of the chicken, then tie the legs together. Cut the other half into wedges and set aside.
4. Put the chicken into a large, sturdy roasting tin. Rub the remaining butter all over the outside of the chicken. Season well and roast for 45 minutes. Roughly bruise the remaining garlic cloves (do not peel) and add to the tin with the potatoes, lemon wedges and remaining herb sprigs, then shake to coat in the oil and return to the oven for a further 45 minutes or until the chicken and potatoes are cooked through.
5. Carefully transfer the chicken to a board and the potatoes, garlic and lemon to a serving dish. Cover both well with foil. Spoon off and discard all but 1 tbsp fat from the roasting tin and heat it on the hob over a medium heat. Stir in the flour, cook for 1 minute, then gradually stir in the stock. Bubble for 5 minutes until thickened, stirring continuously. Strain into a jug and stir in the onion relish/chutney and a little cream if the gravy tastes too sharp. Season.
6. Allow the chicken to rest for at least 30 minutes before serving with the potato mix, garlic and gravy. (Reheat the gravy if necessary.)
EACH SERVING 2 670kJ, 33g fat (12g saturated), 33g carbohydrate (2g total sugars).