- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- ½ tsp sugar
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup dried breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 1½ cups grated Gruyère cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups full-cream milk
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 450g spaghetti
1. Preheat oven to 190°C. Heat a large covered pot of salted water to boiling on high.
2. In a 30cm nonstick frying pan, heat oil on medium. Add onions, garlic, thyme, sugar and 1 tsp salt. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring often.
3. In a medium bowl, combine breadcrumbs, 2 tbsp butter and ½ cup Gruyère. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, 1 cup Gruyère and ½ tsp each salt and pepper; set aside.
4. Uncover frying pan. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes on medium-high, until golden, stirring often. Add wine and 1 tbsp butter. Cook until wine is reduced by half.
5. Cook pasta for half the time label instructs. Drain; return to pot. Stir in onion mixture and egg mixture. Transfer pasta to frying pan. Top with crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes or until eggs are set.
EACH SERVING About 2 160kJ, 22g protein, 64g carbohydrate, 19g total fat (9g saturated), 4g fibre, 133mg cholesterol.