- ½ cup roasted salted almonds
- ¾ cup butter (no substitutions), cut into tablespoons and softened
- ½ cup icing sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups cake flour
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 450g good-quality dark
- chocolate, very finely chopped
- flaky sea salt for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- In a food processor, pulse almonds until finely ground. Transfer to a bowl. In same processor (do not clean), pulse 6 tablespoons butter until creamy. With rubber spatula, scrape bottom and side of bowl, then add icing sugar and salt, and pulse until smooth. Scrape bowl, then add egg yolk and vanilla, and pulse until smooth. Scrape bowl, then add flour and ground almonds, and pulse until mixture forms fine crumbs. Pour mixture into a 27cm tart pan with removable bottom.
- With fingers, firmly press crumb mixture into bottom and up the sides of pan to form even crust. Freeze for 10 minutes or until firm.
- Bake crust for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a 2,8-litre saucepan, heat cream to bubbling on medium. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and let stand for 1 minute. With a rubber spatula, stir gently until smooth. Add remaining butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, gently stirring after each addition until blended. Pour mixture into cooled crust. Gently shake tart pan to create a smooth, even top.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set, then let it stand at room temperature up to 6 hours or until ready to serve. Garnish with sea salt if desired.