- 3 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 1 beef brisket (about 1,8kg), trimmed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 cup lower-sodiumsoya sauce
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 whole star anise
- 1/2 tsp Chinese fivespice powder
- 700g shiitake mushrooms, stems removed finely chopped parsley, for garnish steamed white rice, for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 160°C. In a 7 to 9ℓ wide-bottomed Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil on medium high until hot. Season brisket all over with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper and place in the pot. Cook for 10 minutes or until browned on both sides, turning over halfway through. Transfer the brisket to a large plate.
- To the pot, add the onion and garlic, and cook for 3 minutes, stirring. Add soya sauce, molasses, sugar, vinegar, star anise and Chinese five-spice powder, scraping up any browned bits. Return brisket to the pot. Bring to the boil, then cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours.
- Add shiitake mushrooms to the pot. Cover and bake for another 1 to 1ó hours or until brisket is very tender. Transfer brisket to cutting board. Transfer mushrooms to serving dish. Pour cooking liquid through a fine-mesh strainer set over a medium bowl or fat separator. Discard the solids and fat. Garnish the brisket with parsley and serve with shiitake mushrooms and cooking liquid. Serve with rice, if desired.
EACH SERVING About 1 570kJ, 36g protein, 25g carbohydrate, 14g fat (4g saturated), 2g fibre.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter