- 50g cocoa powder, plus extra to dust
- 75g dark chocolate, chopped
- 175g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra to grease
- 175g castor sugar
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 150g self-raising flour
FOR THE CENTRE
- 40ml double cream
- 100g white chocolate, chopped
FOR THE SAUCE AND DECORATION
- 50g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 100ml double cream
- white chocolate stars, optional
- To make the centre, line a small freezer-safe bowl with clingfilm. Gently melt cream and white chocolate together in a small pot, then scrape into prepared bowl. Freeze until solid – about 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 1,1ℓ pudding basin and dust sides with cocoa powder. Line base with a disc of baking paper and set aside. To make the pudding, in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt the chocolate and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Using a freestanding mixer or hand-held electric whisk, beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy – about 5 minutes. Gradually beat in eggs, whisking well after each addition. If the mixture looks as if it might curdle, beat in some of the flour.
- Sift over the flour and cocoa powder and fold in with cooled chocolate (mixture will be fairly stiff). Spoon ⅔ of mixture into pudding basin; level. Take white chocolate filling out of freezer; remove from bowl. Peel off clingfilm and, using your hands, quickly mould into a rough ball. Place into the basin (don’t press down), then spread remaining chocolate mixture over it (it can be shaped into a mound).
- Bake for 1¼ hours. Carefully take out of oven and set aside for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, make the sauce. Put chocolate into a heatproof bowl. Heat cream in a small pot until bubbles appear around inside of pot; pour into chocolate bowl and leave until melted. Stir briefly.
- Invert pudding on to a lipped cake stand or serving plate (as it will ooze!). Drizzle over the sauce and sprinkle with stars, if you like, and serve. Be warned: once the pudding is opened, the sauce will flow!
- EACH SERVING: 2 380kJ, 8g protein, 36g fat (22g saturated), 53g carbohydrate (39g total sugars), 2g fibre.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter