- 4 spring onions
- 4 slices fresh ginger plus
- 1 tsp peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 5 cups water
- 3 tea bags (green tea)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 680g carrots, cut into 2cm-thick pieces
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Cut off white and pale green parts of spring onions and place in 5-litre pot. Thinly slice the green parts and set aside.
- To pot, add sliced ginger and water. Heat to boiling on high. Add tea bags, then cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a 30cm frying pan, heat oil on medium-high. Add onion, carrots, potato and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook for 6 minutes or until golden, stirring. Add grated ginger; stir for 1 minute.
- With a slotted spoon, remove solids from pot, squeezing liquid into pot; discard solids. Heat liquid to boiling on high; stir in carrot mixture. Reduce heat to maintain simmer. Cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring.
- Transfer half of soup to blender; keep remaining soup simmering. Carefully purée until smooth, then return to pot. Stir in peas and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook for 3 minutes or until peas are bright green and hot.
- Divide among soup bowls; garnish with sliced spring onions.
Each Serving About 860kJ, 7g protein, 37g carbohydrate, 4g total fat (1g saturated), 9g fibre, 0mg cholesterol.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter