- 4 spring onions
- 4 slices fresh ginger
- 3 green-tea tea bags
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 700g carrots, roughly
- 1 medium potato, roughly
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp peeled, grated fresh
- 2 cups frozen peas
1. Cut off white and pale-green parts of spring onions and place in a 5ℓ pot. Slice spring onion greens and set aside.
2. Add ginger slices and 5 cups water. Heat to boiling on high. Add the tea bags. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
3. While the tea steeps, in a 30cm frying pan, heat oil on medium-high. Add onion, carrots, potato, and 1/4tsp each salt and pepper. Cook for 6 minutes or until golden, stirring. Add grated ginger and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
4. With a slotted spoon, remove solids from pot, squeezing liquid into pot. Discard solids. Heat liquid to boiling on high, then stir in carrot mixture. Reduce heat to maintain simmer. Cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring.
5. Transfer half of soup to blender and keep remaining soup simmering. Carefully pure until smooth, then return to pot. Stir in peas and . tsp salt. Cook for 3 minutes or until peas are bright green and hot. Divide among soup bowls and garnish with sliced spring onions.