- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- ½ cup fat-free milk
- 1 medium onion (170g to 225g), finely chopped salt and pepper
- 1 large red pepper (225g to 280g), finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp lower-sodium soya sauce
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 450g lean ground beef
- 450g ground chicken breast
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- 2 tbsp English mustard
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with foil; lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, stir together oats and milk until combined.
- Coat bottom of a 30cm skillet with nonstick cooking spray; heat on medium. Add onion and a pinch of salt; cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until onion softens, stirring occasionally. Add red pepper and garlic; cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until pepper softens, stirring often. Transfer to a medium bowl; refrigerate to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together soya sauce and ¼ cup tomato sauce.
- In a large bowl, with your hands, combine beef, chicken, carrots, oat mixture, cooled vegetable mixture, mustard, 2 tablespoons tomato sauce, pinch salt and ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper until mixed.
- Form mixture into a 20cm by 10cm loaf on prepared baking tray. Brush top and sides with soya-and-tomatosauce mixture. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted in centre registers 70°C.
EACH SERVING About 1 319kJ, 32g protein, 22g carbohydrate, 10g total fat (4g saturated), 3g fibre, 67mg cholesterol, 332mg sodium.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter