- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 ripe medium Bon Chrétien pears (about 570g), cored and sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 fresh or frozen (thawed)
- turkey (5 to 6kg), giblets removed
- 4 sprigs fresh sage
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 3 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- lower-sodium chicken or turkey stock, as needed
- Potatoes, scrubbed, 4cm chunks
- Butternut, peeled, seeded, 4cm chunks
- Beetroot, peeled, 4cm chunks, wrapped in foil
- Young carrots, trimmed, peeled, whole
- Green beans, trimmed, whole
- Preheat oven to 180°C. In a roasting pan, combine onion, two-thirds of pear slices and 2 sprigs rosemary. Pat turkey dry; sprinkle inside of turkey cavity with 1 tsp salt and outside of turkey with 1 tbsp salt. Stuff with sage, remaining pear slices and 2 sprigs rosemary. Tie legs together and tuck wings behind body. Place turkey on rack fitted into roasting pan; add 4 cups water. Roast for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, whisk butter, Worcester sauce, soya sauce and 1 tsp pepper. Brush half of mixture all over turkey. If liquid in pan has evaporated, add 2 cups water. Roast for another 30 minutes to 1 hour or until thermometer inserted into thigh reads 75°C, generously brushing with remaining mixture every 15 minutes. Transfer turkey to cutting board and let it stand for at least 20 minutes.
- While turkey rests, remove rack and rosemary sprigs from pan. Transfer contents of pan to blender or to a large pot with a stick blender. Transfer 3 tbsp fat from drippings back to roasting pan. Purée pear mixture until smooth, working in batches, if necessary. If purée is less than 5 cups, add enough stock to reach 5 cups.
- Heat roasting pan on medium; stir flour into fat until smooth. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often. Gradually stir in purée, whisking until smooth. Heat to simmering on high. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until gravy has thickened, whisking often. Add ⅛ tsp salt. Serve turkey with gravy.
- EACH SERVING: Turkey only: about 2 070kJ, 70g protein, 1g carbohydrate, 22g fat (9g saturated), 990mg sodium. Gravy, per ¼ cup: about 184kJ, 5g carbohydrate, 3g fat (1g saturated), 1g fibre, 20mg sodium.
ROASTED HERBED VEGETABLES
- Toss prepped veggies in olive oil and season with salt, pepper and chopped fresh herbs.
- Roast them on a rimmed baking tray in a 180°C oven along with the turkey, starting with the longer-cooking veggies, then adding the rest after 45 minutes.
- Reheat while the turkey is resting.
- Potatoes: 1 ½ hours
- Butternut: 1 ½ hours
- Beetroot: 1 ½ hours
- Young carrots: 45 minutes
- Green beans: 45 minutes
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter