- Preheat oven to 160°C. Spray a 33cm by 22cm metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line pan with foil, leaving a 5cm overhang. Spray foil.
- Spread 2 cups rolled oats on a plate. Microwave on high in 1-minute intervals, for 4 to 5 minutes or until fragrant and golden, stirring occasionally. Let them cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk ½ cup honey, ½ cup vegetable oil, 2 tbsp water, 2 large egg whites, 2 tbsp packed light brown sugar, 1 tsp ground cinnamon and ½ tsp salt until well blended.
- Fold in oats and ¾ cup each toasted wheat germ, chopped walnuts and dried cranberries.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Using wet hands, press into an even layer.
- Bake for 28 to 30 minutes or until golden. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Using foil, transfer to a chopping board. Cut into 16 bars. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Per Bar: About 900kJ, 5g protein, 25g carbohydrate, 12g fat (1g saturated), 3g fibre, 80mg sodium.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter