- 8 Toulouse or similar artisan-style sausages, frankfurters or fully cooked bratwurst
- 8 panini or hot-dog rolls
- Choice of grilled peppers & onions, red-pepper relish and/or quick sauerkraut
- Prepare grill or braai for direct grilling on medium heat.
- Grill or braai sausages for 15 minutes or until browned and cooked through, turning occasionally. (Grill sausages for 5 minutes, or bratwurst for 10 minutes, or until browned and heated through.)
- Grill panini for 1 to 2 minutes or until toasted. Serve sausages in toasted bread with choice of topping.
Grilled peppers and onions
Prepare grill or braai for direct grilling on medium heat. In a large bowl, toss 680g peppers (red, orange and yellow), thinly sliced; 1 medium onion, thinly sliced; 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar; 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil; 1 teaspoon sugar; ¼ teaspoon dried origanum; and ⅛ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Transfer to a large sheet of non-stick foil (or foil coated with non-stick cooking spray). Wrap foil around mixture, crimping edges to seal. Grill for 20 minutes or until tender.
Each ½ Cup Serving About 146kJ, 1g protein, 6g carbohydrate, 1g total fat (0g saturated), 1g fibre, 0mg cholesterol, 30mg sodium
In a large bowl, mix 8 cups very thinly sliced cabbage; 1 Granny Smith apple, cut into matchsticks; ⅓ cup unseasoned rice vinegar; 1 teaspoon fish sauce; ½ teaspoon caraway seeds; and 1 teaspoon salt. Let stand for 3 hours, stirring from time to time. Can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 3 days.
Each ½ Cup Serving About 104kJ, 1g protein, 6g carbohydrate, 0g total fat, 2g fibre, 0mg cholesterol, 230mg sodium.
In a medium pot, boil ½ cup red-wine vinegar and ½ cup sugar. Add 2 red peppers, finely chopped; ½ cup finely chopped shallots; 1 teaspoon mustard seeds; and ¼ teaspoon salt. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the peppers are just tender. Cool slightly. Can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 3 days.
Each ¼ Cup Serving About 188kJ, 1g protein, 10g carbohydrate, 0g total fat, 1g fibre, 0mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium.