- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp red-wine vinegar or lemon juice
- large handful basil leaves, roughly torn
- 4 trout fillets, skin on
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 1 large brinjal, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 each red and yellow peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 baby marrow, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large, deep nonstick frying pan and fry the brinjal for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it begins to soften. Add onion, peppers and a splash of water and cook, stirring occasionally, until all veg are nearly cooked through.
- Add the baby marrow, garlic, herbs and tomatoes, and cook until the baby marrow is just soft and the tomatoes are bursting. Stir through vinegar or lemon juice and basil, then check the seasoning. Remove from heat.
- Preheat grill to medium. With a small sharp knife, slash the skin of each trout fillet a few times and season. Lay fillets skin-side up on a nonstick baking sheet and grill for 3 to 5 minutes or until the skin is blistered and golden and the flesh flakes when pushed with a knife. Serve trout with the ratatouille, all drizzled with extra oil.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter