FOR THE DRESSING
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp tahini
- salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
FOR THE SALAD
- 150g bulgur wheat
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 1 brinjal, cut into 5mm rounds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g halloumi, cut into
- 1cm slices
- small bunch fresh mint,
- leaves picked and chopped
- large handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 cucumber, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 100g pomegranate seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients with some seasoning and set aside.
- Put bulgur wheat, red onion and stock into a large pot. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cover. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes until cooked and the stock has been absorbed. Spread out onto a large serving platter to cool.
- Heat a griddle pan over a high heat. Brush brinjal slices with most of the olive oil, then griddle in batches for about 2 to 3 minutes each side, or until tender with charred lines. Set aside.
- Brush remaining oil over the halloumi slices and griddle for 1ó to 2 minutes on each side. (Try not to turn until they come away from the pan easily.) Set aside.
- Stir the herbs, cucumber, tomatoes, chickpeas, pomegranate seeds and most of the dressing through the bulgur. Top with the halloumi and brinjal slices and drizzle over the remaining dressing.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter