- 230g thinly sliced deli ham
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 7 large eggs
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 loaf French bread (about 340g), cut into 0,5cm slices
- 230g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh chives
- Spray a 2-litre baking dish with cooking spray. Line dish with ham.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, mustard, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper until well blended.
- Arrange half of bread slices, overlapping slightly, on bottom of prepared dish. Pour half of milk mixture over bread. Sprinkle with half the Cheddar. Repeat layering. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Remove cling wrap and bake strata for 50 to 55 minutes or until golden and knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Let it stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with chives.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter