- 2 x 125g balls mozzarella, drained and roughly chopped
- 75g wafer-thin ham, roughly chopped
- 40g black olives
- Handful fresh basil, leaves picked
- Green salad (optional)
FOR THE DOUGH
- 300g bread flour, plus extra to dust
- 7g dried yeast
- 1 tsp castor sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to grease
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic gloves, crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried origanum
1. To make the dough, mix the flour, yeast, sugar and 1 tsp fine salt in a large bowl. Add oil and 150ml lukewarm water and quickly mix to a soft but not sticky dough (adjust with additional water or flour as needed).
2. Scrape dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Return to a clean, lightly greased bowl. Cover with greased cling film (oil-side down) and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
3. Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat oil in a medium pot and gently fry onion for 5 to 10 minutes until softened. Add garlic and fry for 1 minute more. Add tomatoes and origanum, turn up the heat and bubble until thick and pulpy. Check seasoning and set aside to cool.
4. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Punch down the dough in the bowl. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle measuring roughly 30 x 40cm – with a long side in front of you. Spread over cooled tomato sauce, leaving a 2cm border all the way round. Dot over mozzarella and scatter over ham, olives and basil leaves. Fold short sides in slightly over the filling. Brush long side furthest away from you with a bit of water. Starting from the long side closest to you, roll up the pizza, pinching the seam slightly to seal.
5. Transfer roll to lined tray, seam-side down. Cover with greased cling film (oil-side down) and leave to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 200°C. Dust top of roll with flour and cut about 8 slashes across top. Cook in oven for 25 to 30 minutes until well risen and golden. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving with a green salad, if you like.
EACH SERVING: About 2 490kJ, 28g protein, 26g fat (11g saturated), 61g carbohydrate (7g total sugars), 5g fibre.