- 10 medium slices white bread
- 40g butter, softened
- 1 tbsp whole-grain mustard
- 150g ham slices
- 275ml full-cream milk
- 275ml double cream
- 4 medium eggs
- 50g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- Lay five of the bread slices on a board. Spread over the butter and mustard. Next, divide the ham among the bread slices and finish by laying another piece of bread on top of each stack. Cut the sandwiches into quarters on the diagonal.
- Arrange the triangles in a not-too-deep 23cm x 23cm x 7,5cm ovenproof serving dish. In a large jug, mix the milk, cream, eggs and plenty of seasoning until well combined. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread, then press the bread down a little. Leave to soak in the fridge for 15 minutes, if you have time, otherwise carry straight on.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Scatter over the cheese and season with freshly ground black pepper. Cook for 30 to 35 minutes or until the egg mixture has set. Serve immediately with a crisp green salad.
Each serving 3 605kJ, 62g fat (35g saturated), 49g carbohydrate (7g total sugars).
If you don’t fancy ham, use chicken or beef instead.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter