- ¾ cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup cake flour, plus additional for rolling dough
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup plus 1 tbsp butter or margarine, softened
- ½ cup icing sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 60g good-quality dark chocolate, melted and cooled, plus additional for decorating
- 230g milk chocolate, melted
- ½ cup Nutella
- 1 cup Rice Krispies cereal
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Place hazelnuts in a Swiss-roll pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, shaking pan occasionally. Remove pan from oven. Wrap hot hazelnuts in a clean cloth towel; with hands, roll hazelnuts back and forth until as much skin as possible rubs off. Cool nuts completely. Very finely chop ¼ cup nuts; chop remaining ¼ cup nuts. Set aside separately.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour and cocoa. In a large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat ½ cup butter until very soft. Beat in icing sugar and ⅛ teaspoon salt until well blended. Beat in egg until well blended, scraping bowl occasionally. Reduce speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture, then very finely chopped nuts just until blended. Form dough into a 2cm-thick disc and tightly wrap in cling wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm, or for up to 3 days.
- On a lightly floured surface, with lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough to 3mm thick. With a floured 5cm to 7cm heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut dough into as many biscuits as possible; wrap and refrigerate trimmings. Place biscuits, 2,5cm apart, on prepared baking trays.
- Bake biscuits for 12 minutes or until set. Transfer biscuits to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with trimmings. Biscuits can be stored in an airtight container for up to a day.
- On a large sheet of wax paper, use the same cookie cutter as a stencil to draw 24 hearts with pencil. Turn paper over and tape to a large white cutting board or flat platter.
- Transfer melted dark chocolate to a small resealable plastic bag. Snip small hole in one corner and pipe chocolate to trace outlines of hearts on wax paper. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until firm.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons melted milk chocolate in a medium bowl. Transfer remaining to small resealable plastic bag. Snip large hole in one corner. Fill in outlines of hearts with thin, even layer of chocolate, using small metal spatula to spread, if needed. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until firm. Hearts and reserved milk chocolate can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- If making ahead, melt reserved milk chocolate again. Stir in Nutella, reserved nuts, remaining 1 tablespoon butter and ⅛ teaspoon salt until smooth. Gently fold in cereal until well coated.
- Divide cereal mixture among biscuits and spread into an even layer. Top each with hardened chocolate heart, smooth-side up, and decorate with additional chocolate, if desired.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter