- 1kg fresh or frozen mussels
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 900ml fish or vegetable stock
- 50ml double cream
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Sort mussels following our tip and clean, removing barnacles and beards with a knife. Heat a large pan and add mussels. Put on lid and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until mussels open. Strain. Set aside a few in their shells; pick out meat from the rest. Discard empty shells and mussels that haven’t opened.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Gently cook onions, leek, carrots and potatoes for 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic and bay leaf, and cook for 1 minute. Pour in stock and bring to the boil.
- Add mussel meat and cream. Discard bay leaf and check seasoning. Divide among four warmed soup bowls, scatter over chives and garnish with reserved mussels in shells.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter