- 400g loaf bread (we used sourdough)
- 10 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500g chicken-breast fillets
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 8 prosciutto slices
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp white-wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 tomatoes, quartered and deseeded
- 100g sun-dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
- 1 cos lettuce, roughly chopped
- 3 avocados, peeled, pips removed and sliced
- 125g blue cheese (we used Roquefort), crumbled
Hands-on Time 40 minutes Cooking Time about 20 minutes Serves 6
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut crusts off the bread, then cut into 2,5cm pieces. Scatter onto a baking tray and toss through 2 tbsp olive oil and plenty of salt. Set aside.
- In a small baking dish, mix the chicken with a drizzle of the oil, the dried herbs and some seasoning. Put chicken and croutons into the oven for 15 to 18 minutes (tossing the croutons occasionally), or until chicken is cooked through and croutons are golden and crisp. When chicken is cool, roughly shred it.
- Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over a medium heat and fry prosciutto slices (in batches if necessary) until golden. Lift onto roller towel and set pan aside to reuse.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, onion slices and some seasoning. Return frying pan to a medium heat with 4 tbsp of the remaining oil. When it’s hot, lift onion slices out of the flour (shake off excess) and fry for 2 to 3 minutes until golden and crisp. Lift onto roller towel and set aside.
- Whisk together remaining oil, vinegar, mustard and some seasoning and set aside. In a separate bowl, combine fresh and sundried tomatoes.
- Bring the shredded chicken, croutons, prosciutto, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, blue cheese and dressing to the table and let people dive in.
EACH SERVING About 2 620kJ, 34g protein, 40g fat (10g saturated), 30g carbohydrate (6g total sugars), 7g fibre.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter