Recipe IngredientsHOME-MADE MARSHMALLOWS:
- 1 cup cold water
- 70g gelatine powder
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup maple-flavoured syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 1 1/2 tsp rose-water extract
- Pink food colouring
These fluffy treats will melt in your mouth and leave you begging for more:
- Place 1/2 cup cold water in bowl of stand mixer; sprinkle with 70g gelatine powder.
- In a 2l pot, combine 1 1/2 cups white sugar, 1 cup maple-flavoured syrup, 1/2 cup water and 1/4 tsp salt; cook on medium-high to 115°C on a candy thermometer (6 to 13 minutes); remove from heat.
- With mixer on a low speed, carefully drizzle sugar syrup into gelatine. Beat on high for 15 minutes or until very thick. Beat in 1 tbsp vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, whisk 1/2 cup icing sugar and 1/4 cup cornflour. Line a 33cm by 22cm baking pan with baking paper; dust heavily with cornflour mixture. Transfer marshmallow mixture to prepared pan, spreading with greased spatula. Dust top with remaining cornflour mixture; with hands, pat to spread evenly to corners. Let it stand for 6 hours or until firm.
- Peel edges of baking paper from marshmallow. With a chef’s knife or kitchen shears, cut into 2,5cm cubes. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month. Makes about 7 dozen marshmallows.
- Beat in 1 1/2 tsp rose-water extract with vanilla extract. Transfer half of mixture to a medium bowl; stir in pink food colouring.
- Dollop white and pink marshmallow into prepared pan, alternating; use knife to create a swirl pattern.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter