Recipe IngredientsWhen life gives you (overripe) bananas, make banana bread.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups mashed banana (very ripe)
- bananas (4 medium)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a 20cm x 12cm metal loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, with a wire whisk, stir together flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir together bananas and vanilla until blended.
- In a large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Reduce speed to low; alternately add flour mixture and banana mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture and occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Beat batter just until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean (about 1 hour). Cool loaf in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on rack before slicing.
EACH SERVING About 840kJ, 3g protein, 32g carbohydrate, 7g fat (4g saturated), 1g fibre, 205mg sodium.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter