FOR THE BURGERS
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 11⁄2 tbsp runny honey
- 75g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 medium egg finely grated
- zest of 1 lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- 1⁄2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 4 floury Portuguese rolls
- gem lettuce leaves, optional
- tomato slices, optional
1. To make the burgers, whizz the chicken in a food processor until it resembles mince, then empty into a large bowl and mix in the mustard, 1 tbsp honey, the breadcrumbs, egg, lemon zest and plenty of seasoning.
2. Divide mixture equally into four and shape each portion into a flattened patty. Arrange on a plate, then cover and chill for 30 minutes, if there’s time.
3. Preheat oven to 200°C. Heat oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat and brown burgers for 5 minutes, turning occasionally. Transfer to a baking sheet, brush the tops of the burgers with the remaining honey and cook in the oven for a further 10 to 12 minutes or until cooked through.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, crème fraîche, lemon juice, mustard and some seasoning. Set aside. Halve and toast the rolls.
5. Serve the burgers in the toasted rolls, topped with lettuce and tomato slices, if you like, with a dollop of mustard sauce.
EACH SERVING About 2 207kJ, 19g fat (4g saturated), 55g carbohydrate (5g total sugars).