- 2l vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 1 large Madeira sponge cake, or panettone
- 300g each ripe strawberries, blueberries and raspberries
- 250g frozen raspberries
- 200g fresh or frozen blueberries
- 200g sliced strawberries
- 1 tbsp icing sugar, to dust
- Line a 900g loaf tin with clingfilm, making sure it overlaps the sides of the tin so that you can fold it over the dessert.
- Place a layer of vanilla ice cream onto the base of the tin, and on top of that place a few thin slices of sponge cake. Cover with a row each of strawberries, blueberries and raspberries.
- Cover the berries with vanilla ice cream and continue layering as before, until the loaf tin is full. Press down firmly to make sure you seal all the holes. Fold the clingfilm over the top. Place the tin in the freezer and freeze until really hard.
- Remove the terrine from the freezer 15 minutes before you want to serve it. Dip quickly in warm water, and unmould it onto a platter. Top with the berries and a good shake of icing sugar.
Tip: For easier slicing, dip your knife in hot water.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter