Recipe IngredientsCHOCOLATE-CAKE LAYERS
- butter, to grease
- 1 x 650g Ina Paarman’s Chocolate Cake Mix
- 3 extra-large eggs,room temperature
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp coffee granules to make 1 cup of hot black coffee
- ¼ cup coffee liqueur (to be sprinkled over baked cake layers)
- 2 x 90g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 4 tsp good-quality coffee granules
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 1½ cups fresh cream
- 250g mascarpone or cream cheese
- ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup coffee liqueur
- 50g dark chocolate
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Butter two 22cm cake pans and line the bases with baking paper.
- Mix cake according to package instructions.
- Divide mixture between the two pans. Level the tops.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Leave the cakes to cool in the pans for 10 minutes.
- Turn cakes out onto a cooling rack and leave until cold.
- Cut each cake horizontally through the middle to form two layers.
- For the tiramisu mixture, place the chocolate in a bowl, over another bowl with hot water, and leave to melt slowly.
- Dissolve the coffee granules in the boiling water. Leave to cool.
- Whip the cream until stiff and blend in, on slow speed, the mascarpone, condensed milk, melted chocolate, coffee liqueur and cooled coffee.
- On a cake stand, place one layer of the chocolate cake and sprinkle with a little of the coffee liqueur.
- Spread ¼ of the tiramisu mixture over one layer of the cake.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter