FOR THE PASTRY
- 175g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 60g quick-cooking or regular polenta
- 150g chilled butter, cut into cubes
- 25g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 4 tbsp chilled water
FOR THE FILLING
- 125g hot smoked salmon fillets, skinned and flaked
- 75g peas
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped chives
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 125ml heavy cream
- finely grated zest of ½ lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To make the pastry, put the flour, polenta and butter in a food processor and pulse until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the parmesan and water, and pulse again until the dough clumps together. Tip the mixture onto a work surface, bring together in a flat disc, wrap in cling wrap and chill for 30 minutes. If you don’t have a food processor, rub the butter into the flour mixture using your fingers, then stir in the cheese and water with a blunt knife.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Divide pastry equally into 6. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each piece and use to line 6 fluted tart tins (about 8cm across). Put the tins on a baking tray and line each with aluminium foil. Fill with baking beans or uncooked rice, and bake for 12 minutes, until the sides have set. Remove the foil and beans, and return the pastry tins to the oven for 5 minutes, then take them out and reduce oven temperature to 170°C.
- Divide flaked salmon, peas and most of the chives among the pastry cases. In a large jug, mix together the eggs, cream, lemon zest and some seasoning.
- Pour cream mixture into cases, and sprinkle over remaining chives and some freshly ground black pepper. Cook for 15 to 18 minutes, until the filling is set and lightly golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.
EACH SERVING 2 142kJ, 37g fat (22g saturated), 32g carbohydrate (1g total sugars).
Make pastry a day ahead, cover and chill. To serve warm, prepare tarts to end of step 3 up to 2 hours ahead. Loosely cover the half-filled tarts with cling wrap and store at room temperature; chill cream mixture separately. Complete the recipe to serve. To serve at room temperature, complete tarts up to 4 hours ahead and store them at room temperature.
No individual tins?
To make 1 large tart, use a 23cm x 4cm fluted, round tart tin, and add an extra egg and 125ml cream to the filling. Cook for 20 minutes.