- 1kg ripe vine tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp caster sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 250g stale sourdough, torn into bite-size pieces
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 100ml extra-virgin olive oil
- ó garlic clove, crushed
- large handful basil,
- leaves picked and torn
- 15 pitted black olives
- 2 x 400g cans butter beans,
- drained and rinsed
- Roughly chop tomatoes, put into a large serving bowl and sprinkle over sugar and . tsp salt. Set aside for 20 minutes (to allow the juices to be drawn out). In a separate bowl, mix the onion with 1 tbsp vinegar. Set aside to soften for 20 minutes.
- When onion is soft, add the bread to the tomato bowl, then tip in the onion mixture. (Set aside the empty bowl.) Toss together and leave to soak for 10 minutes.
- In the reserved empty bowl, whisk together the remaining vinegar, lemon juice, oil and some seasoning. Pour half into the serving bowl with the garlic, basil, olives and butter beans. Stir to combine. (If you have time, set aside for 15 minutes to allow flavours to mingle.) Serve with the extra dressing alongside.
EACH SERVING About 1 890kJ, 12g protein, 22g fat (3g saturated), 47g carbohydrate (12g total sugars), 9g fibre.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter