- 2 tbsp capers, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium-hot chilli, such as jalapeño, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh origanum, marjoram or basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for grilling
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeds removed and cut into 8 rings, each about 1,5cm thick
- 2 medium brinjals, cut into 12 rounds, each about 1,5cm thick
- Coarse salt
- 230g fresh mozzarella, sliced into 8 rounds, each about 0,5cm thick
- The coals are ready when you can hold your hand 10cm above the grill for 4 to 5 seconds. If you’re grilling, heat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Stir together capers, chilli, herbs and olive oil in a bowl.
- Lightly brush red-pepper rings with olive oil and braai until tender, flipping as they brown (about 5 minutes per side). Transfer to a bowl and cover to help them soften.
- Brush each slice of brinjal with olive oil and sprinkle with salt; braai until very tender, flipping when lightly charred (about 4 minutes per side).
- Place one brinjal slice on each of four plates and top with a redpepper ring and a slice of mozzarella. Spoon a small amount of caper-chilli oil over mozzarella and repeat. Top each stack with another slice of brinjal and a drizzle of caper-chilli oil.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter