- 1 habanero chilli, finely chopped (rinse hands and cutting board after chopping as this is hot; alternatively, use the milder jalapeño chilli)
- 1 bunch spring onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped (or 11⁄2 tsp dried thyme)
- 1 tbsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- 2 tbsp each dark brown sugar, low-sodium soya sauce, fresh lime juice and vegetable oil
- 900g boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1. In a large bowl, mix chilli, spring onions, garlic, thyme, allspice and salt. Add sugar, soya sauce, lime juice and oil, and stir until sugar dissolves.
2. Add chicken and toss until thoroughly coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, up to 24 hours, then bring chicken to room temperature.
3. The coals are ready when you can hold your hand 10cm above the grill for 4 to 5 seconds. If you’re grilling, heat a grill to medium-high heat. Braai chicken, turning once, until edges are lightly charred and chicken is thoroughly cooked in centre (5 to 6 minutes per side).
Each Serving About 1 460kJ, 18g fat, 33g protein, 12g carbohydrate.
Serve with Jamaican-style rice and beans or savoury rice.