- 500g butter, at room temperature
- 5 cups cake flour
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp brown vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 cups Weet-Bix (about 4 biscuits), crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 200°C and grease a rusk tray or large oven pan (30cm x 40cm).
2. Rub butter into flour using your fingers.
3. Add the rest of the dry ingredients to the flour and butter mixture.
4. Whisk the wet ingredients together and add to the dry mixture. Add more Weet-Bix if the mixture looks too wet.
5. Spoon into prepared tray or pan and bake for 30 minutes at 200°C. Cut into fingers and let dry in the oven.
GRANDMA’S TIP: No baking powder? Mix 1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda with 2 tsp cream of tartar.