- 8 medium red onions, peeled
- 25g butter
- 75g diced pancetta
- 450g sausage meat
- 1 cooking apple, peeled, cored and coarsely grated
- large bunch sage, finely chopped
- 100g dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- 75g dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 150g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- To prepare onions, trim off roots so they sit straight. Slice off tops of onions. Scoop out central core with a teaspoon (leaving a few outer layers to make a cup shape). Finely chop scooped-out centres of 2 onions and set aside. (The rest can be used in soups or stocks later.)
- Heat butter in a medium pot and gently cook chopped onion centres and pancetta for 5 minutes. Tip into a large bowl; cool.
- Once onion mixture is cool, mix in sausage meat, apple, most of the sage, the cranberries, apricots, egg, breadcrumbs and some seasoning. Fill each onion with stuffing. Keep rest of stuffing chilled, ready for the turkey.
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Place onions on a baking tray; brush outsides with a little oil and cook for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden and piping hot. Scatter over rest of sage; serve.
- EACH ONION: 960kJ, 7g protein, 11g fat (4g saturated), 25g carbohydrate (12g total sugars), 3g fibre.
- GET AHEAD: Prepare to end of step 3 up to a day ahead. Keep baubles and turkey stuffing, covered separately, in fridge. Complete recipe to serve.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter