- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 800g canned chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp smoked chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 450g boneless, skinless
- chicken-breast halves, cut into 1,5cm chunks
- 350g wide egg noodles
- 1 cup packed fresh coriander leaves
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated mature Cheddar and mozzarella, mixed
- Heat a large covered pot of salted water to boiling on high. Preheat oven to 190C.
- In a 30cm frying pan, heat oil on medium-high. Add green pepper, onion, garlic and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, chilli flakes and cumin. Simmer, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper, and add to frying pan. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally
- While chicken mixture simmers add noodles to boiling water and cook for 5 minutes less than label instructs. Drain well; return to pot. To same pot, add chicken, coriander, sour cream and ½ tsp salt, stirring to combine.
- Spread mixture in an even layer in a glass or ceramic 2,8ℓ baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked and filling is bubbling.
EACH SERVING About 1 970kJ, 32g protein, 55g carbohydrate, 14g total fat (6g saturated), 5g fibre, 131mg cholesterol
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter