- 3-rack crown roast of lamb, at room temperature, fat removed
- 25ml olive oil
- 25g fresh parsley
- 4 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
FOR THE STUFFING
- couple of pinches of saffron, optional
- 100g couscous
- 40g pine nuts
- 50g butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 50g dried figs, finely chopped
- 75g feta, crumbled
- pomegranate seeds, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Put lamb on a baking tray. Into the small bowl of a food processor, put oil, parsley (stalks and all), thyme leaves, garlic, mustard and some seasoning. Whizz until well mixed. Alternatively, bash oil, herbs, garlic and seasoning in a pestle and mortar, then mix in mustard. Rub over lamb and roast for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make stuffing. Put saffron, if using, into a bowl; cover with a little boiling water. Leave to soak for 5 minutes. Put couscous and saffron mix, if made, into a heatproof bowl; just cover with boiling water. Cover tightly with clingfilm; leave for 5 minutes.
- Dry-heat a frying pan; toast pine nuts until golden (watch them – they brown suddenly). Empty on to a plate. Return pan to heat with butter and onion; gently fry for 5 minutes to soften. Add garlic; fry for 1 minute. Take pan off heat.
- Fluff up couscous with a fork; mix in onion, pine nuts, mint, egg, figs, feta and seasoning.
- Carefully take lamb out of oven; spoon stuffing into central cavity. Return to oven for 15 minutes for pink meat (longer if you like).
- Carefully transfer lamb to a board using a fish slice (to keep stuffing in place). Cover with a few layers of foil; leave to rest for 20 minutes. Sprinkle over pomegranate seeds; serve. To carve, slice into cutlets, between bones.
- EACH SERVING: 2 390kJ, 28g protein, 46g fat (21g saturated), 11g carbohydrate (4g total sugars), 1g fibre.
- GET AHEAD: Complete steps 2 to 4 up to a day ahead, but don’t mix in egg. Cover; chill. To serve, complete step 1, allow stuffing to come up to room temperature, mix in egg and complete recipe.