- 5 eggs
- 280g castor sugar
- 140g cream
- zest of 3 lemons (use a fine grater)
- 2 tots rum
- 1 pinch salt
- 80g unsalted butter, melted
- 240g cake flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 150g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Lightly grease a loaf tin and line with greaseproof paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, castor sugar, cream, lemon zest, rum, salt and butter.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together, then whisk into the egg mixture until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, turning the tin around halfway through baking.
- To test the cake, insert a small knife into the middle – if it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool for 30 minutes.
- Mix the lemon juice with the icing sugar in a small bowl and beat until smooth.
- Brush or spoon the lemon glaze evenly over the top of the cake and let the glaze run down the sides; leave for a few minutes to set.
- Place the cake on a baking tray in the oven, turn off the heat and leave for 3 to 5 minutes to dry the glaze – it will become translucent.
- Allow to cool before slicing.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter