- 400g can green lentils
- 50g quinoa vegetable stock, to cover
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- large handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 50g fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil, to fry
- tzatziki or hummus, to serve
1. Drain and rinse the lentils, then set aside to drip-dry. Put the quinoa in a pot and cover well with stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Drain well, run under cold water, then leave to drain again.
2. Put the lentils, garlic, pumpkin seeds, coriander and red onion into a food processor and whizz until it’s a thick purée. Scrape mixture into a large bowl.
3. To the lentil mixture add the quinoa, egg, breadcrumbs and plenty of seasoning. Mix together, then form into four equal-sized flattened patties.
4. Heat oil in a large nonstick frying pan over a low to medium heat and fry patties for 10 minutes, turning midway through, or until golden and piping hot. Serve with tzatziki or hummus and a green salad.
EACH SERVING About 1 330kJ, 17g fat (3g saturated), 28g carbohydrate (3g total sugars), 15g protein, 4g fibre.