- 120g cubed pancetta or bacon
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 340g linguine
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan, plus more for topping
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a large covered pot of salted water to boiling on high.
- Meanwhile, heat pancetta or bacon in a 30cm nonstick frying pan on medium-high. Cook for 5 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Add shallot and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook for 3 minutes or until softened. With a spatula, transfer mixture to a large heatproof bowl. Wipe out frying pan; set aside.
- In boiling water, cook pasta according to instructions on packet; 4 minutes before it’s finished cooking, add asparagus.
- Meanwhile, add oil to the same frying pan and heat on medium. Crack eggs into individual cups or small bowls. Slide eggs into frying pan and cook for 1 minute or until whites set around edges. Cover frying pan; cook for 2 or 3 minutes longer or until whites are completely set. With a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons pasta cooking water. Drain pasta and asparagus, and add to bowl with pancetta. Add Parmesan and cooking water; toss to combine. Divide among 4 bowls. Top each with 1 egg, freshly ground pepper and more Parmesan, if desired.
Each serving (using pancetta) About 2 400kJ, 27g protein, 68g carbohydrate, 21g total fat (8g saturated), 4g fibre, 215mg cholesterol, 995mg sodium.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter