- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 450g lean minced chicken
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cans (410g each) diced tomatoes
- 450g carrots
- 225g whole-wheat linguine
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat a 5-litre pot of water. Add 2 teaspoons of salt.
- In a 30cm frying pan, heat oil on medium-high. Add leek, celery, garlic and ⅛ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until just tender, stirring.
- Add chicken; cook for 4 minutes or until meat loses its pink colour, stirring and breaking into small pieces. Stir in cinnamon; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring.
- Meanwhile, with vegetable peeler, shave carrots into thin ribbons.
- Add pasta to boiling water. Cook for 1 minute less than instructions on label. Add carrots; cook with the pasta for 1 minute. Drain and return to pot. Add chicken ragú, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir gently until well mixed.
- Top with parsley and serve.
Each Serving About 1 150kJ, 23g protein, 28g carbohydrate, 5g total fat (1g saturated), 7g fibre, 30mg cholesterol
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter