Recipe IngredientsThis quantity makes on 20cm 'cake' of stuffing. The same quantity of stuffing can also be used to stuff your bird, so if you want both a cake and stuffed turkey, you'll need to make double.
- 1 tsbp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 450g pack sausage meat
- 2 tbsp maple syrup, plus extra to brush
- 50g pecans, roughly chopped
- 50g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- large handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 8 rashers streaky bacon
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan and gently fry onion and celery for 10 minutes until softened. Tip into a large bowl and leave to cool.
- To the cooled onion mixture, add sausage meat, maple syrup, pecans, cranberries, breadcrumbs, egg, parsley and some seasoning. Mix to combine. (Using your hands is easiest.)
- Preheat oven to 190 °. Stretch each bacon rasher gently lengthways, then lay in a criss-cross pattern in base of a 20,5cm round sandwich tin, leaving any excess hanging over sides.
- Press the sausage mixture into the cake tin, being careful not to disturb the bacon over the filling.
- Sit stuffing tin in a roasting tin (to catch any leaking juices). Cook in the oven for 40 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Carefully pour off excess liquid, then turn cake out on to a baking sheet (bacon-side up).
- Brush bacon with some maple-syrup to glaze, then return to the oven for 15-20 minutes to brown slightly. Transfer to a plate or board and sprinkle with extra parsley. Serve in wedges.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter