Recipe IngredientsPOT BREADS
- 4 mealie cobs
- 2 large eggs
- 150ml milk
- 5ml salt
- 10ml white sugar
- 500g cake flour
- 10ml baking powder
- 15ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 30ml mild curry powder
- 15ml tomato paste
- 100ml water
- 250g salted butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease 6 small terracotta plant pots with butter.
- Strip the mealie kernels off the cobs.
- Roughly grind half the kernels into a coarse paste in a food processor or with a pestle and mortar.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground and whole mealie kernels, eggs and milk.
- In another bowl, sift together the salt, sugar, flour and baking powder, and then add this to the mealie mixture. Stir to combine, but make sure you don’t overmix it.
- Spoon the mixture into the greased pots and bake for 30 to 45 minutes untilgolden on top and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- For the curry butter, heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion until translucent.
- Add the curry powder and tomato paste, and fry over a low heat for about 1 minute.
- Add the water and cook for 2 minutes, or until all the water has evaporated to leave a thick curry paste. Leave to cool completely.
- Mix the cooled curry paste into the softened butter and serve with the mealie pot bread.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter