- 3 large egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract assorted food-colouring pastes different flavouring, optional.
1. Arrange oven racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat oven to 105°C. Line two large baking trays with baking paper.
2. In a medium bowl, with mixer on a medium speed, beat egg whites and salt until foamy. Add cream of tartar and beat on medium-high until soft peaks form. Add sugar 1 tbsp at a time. Beat until meringue stands in stiff, glossy peaks. Beat in vanilla and one flavour, if using. (See ‘Your Colour Code’, right.)
3. For each desired colour, use a small brush to paint 3 to 4 stripes of food colouring lightly inside a large piping bag fitted with a 1,3cm plain tip. Divide meringue among piping bags. Pipe meringue onto baking trays in 4cm rounds, spacing 2,5cm apart. Bake for 1 hour.
4. Turn oven off. Leave meringues in oven for 1 hour with oven door closed. Remove from oven and cool completely. Meringues can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. Makes about 5 dozen meringues.