- 2 large onions, diced
- 1kg lamb pieces
- 4 cups rice
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 15ml garlic and ginger paste
- 15ml jeera powder
- 15ml coriander powder
- 5ml fennel (barishap) powder
- 15ml turmeric powder
- 1 clove
- 3 cardamom pieces
- 3 sticks cinnamon
- 60ml chopped coriander
1. Brown diced onions in a large pot.
2. Add lamb pieces.
3. Meanwhile, cook rice as per packet instructions.
4. Add chilli, salt, garlic and ginger paste, jeera powder, coriander powder, fennel powder, turmeric powder, clove, cardamom and cinnamon to the pot with the lamb in it. Steam so spices mix with the meat.
5. In a separate large pot, layer the rice, then meat and onion mix, one layer at a time (rice layer, then meat layer, then rice layer and so on).
6. Steam, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes.
7. Sprinkle chopped coriander on top.
8. When dishing up, spoon deep into the pot so the layers mix when you dish the akhni onto your plate.