- 6 x mini jam or caramel Swiss rolls
- 100 ml (⅓ cup & 4 tsp) alcohol such as sherry, brandy or liqueur (optional).
- 1 x 80 g packet of jelly, any flavour
- 100 ml (⅓ cup & 4 tsp) custard powder
- 1 can (380 g) Nestlé Ideal Evaporated Milk
- 500 ml (2 cups) fresh milk
- 45-60 ml (3-4 Tbsp) sugar, depending on taste
- 400 ml (1 ½ cups) of fresh or canned fruit, sliced
- 1 can (290 g) Nestlé Cream
- 30 (2 Tbsp) - 60ml (4 Tbsp) castor sugar
- 5(1 tsp) vanilla essence
- Slice the mini Swiss rolls and place it into a flat dish. Sprinkle over the alcohol if using.
- Make up the jelly according to the packet instructions, and pour over the Swiss rolls. Refrigerate until set.
- Combine the custard powder with 80 ml of the fresh milk. Bring the remaining milk and the Nestlé Ideal Evaporated Milk to a boil in a saucepan. Add a little of the boiling milk to the custard mixture, and then return to the saucepan. Bring the custard to a boil and stir continuously, until the custard thickens, Remove from the heat, cover and allow to cool.
- Cut the set jelly and Swiss rolls into squares. Haphazardly layer the jelly/Swiss rolls , fruit and cooled custard into individual glasses or one large glass dish. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Just prior to serving, place the Nestlé Cream, caster sugar and vanilla essence into a mixing bowl. Beat using an electric mixer, until the cream is thick and frothy. Pour the cream over the top of each trifle and serve immediately.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter