- 1 large lemon
- 450g green beans, trimmed
- 900g asparagus, trimmed
- 5 bacon rashers, chopped
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pecan nuts
- From lemon, grate all zest and squeeze 1/4 cup juice; set aside.
- Heat a large covered pot of salted water to boiling on high. Add green beans; cook for 1 minute. Add asparagus; cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Drain well.
- While water is heating, in a 25cm frying pan, cook bacon on medium for 8 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a small plate. To rendered fat in frying pan, add shallots; cook for 3 minutes, stirring. Whisk in reserved lemon juice and 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper.
- In pot used to cook vegetables, toss shallot mixture with vegetables; transfer to a serving platter. Top with bacon, pecan nuts and reserved lemon zest.
EACH SERVING: About 550kJ, 5g protein, 8g carbohydrate, 10g fat (3g saturated), 3g fibre, 250mg sodium.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter