- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to garnish
- 125g whole-wheat bread, cut into 2cm cubes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 750ml vegetable stock
- large handful fresh basil to serve (optional)
- black olives, pitted and sliced capers
- Put onion, garlic, red peppers and cucumber into a large pan with a splash of water. Cook gently until softened (about 10 minutes). Add a little water as needed.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a separate large frying pan over low-medium heat. Add bread cubes and some salt. Cook, tossing occasionally, until the bread is golden. Set aside.
- Add tomatoes, stock, most of basil and some seasoning to veg pan. Simmer for 5 minutes, then blend soup and check seasoning.
- Reheat, if needed, and pour into four warmed bowls. Garnish, if you like, with the olives, capers, oil and remaining basil. Serve with the croutons.
Each serving About 660kJ, 4g fat (1g saturated), 25g carbohydrate (11g total sugars).
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter