- 2 baby marrows, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 large aubergine, thinly sliced lengthways
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400g extra-lean beef mince
- 200g mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- few dashes Worcester sauce
- 2½ tbsp cornflour
- 500ml skimmed milk
- 125g ball low-fat mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Preheat grill to high. Place baby marrow and aubergine slices in a single layer on baking trays. Season with salt, then grill (in batches if necessary) until cooked through – about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Set aside on paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Heat oil in a large pan over low heat; fry onion until soft (about 10 minutes). Turn up heat; add garlic and mince. Fry for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, then add mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, purée, herbs and Worcester sauce. Season well. Bring to the boil; simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Check seasoning, remove from heat and set aside.
- Make white sauce. Put cornflour in a medium pan, whisk in milk and season well. Bring to the boil, whisking constantly, and bubble for a few minutes. (Mixture will need to boil to thicken.) Check seasoning.
- Spoon half the mince mixture into a large ovenproof dish; top with half the vegetables in an even layer. Next, spoon on half the white sauce, then half the mozzarella. Repeat with remaining mince, vegetables, sauce and mozzarella.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until piping hot and golden. Serve immediately with a crisp green salad.
Each serving About 1 510kJ, 15g fat (7g saturated), 24g carbohydrate (13g total sugars).
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter