1kg sliced fish (my mom used to use hake), seasoned with salt and pepper, and fried in oil after first dipping it in milk (not egg) and then in flour.
While the fish is frying, prepare the curry sauce:
- 2 onions
- 6 peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup water
- 2 dessertspoons Cartwrights Curry Powder
- 2 tsp Maizena
- 1 heaped tbsp sugar
- 1½ cups vinegar
- 1 dessertspoon seedless raisins
1. Boil onions, peppercorns and bay leaves in water.
2. Mix curry powder, Maizena and sugar to a paste with a little vinegar, and then add the rest of the vinegar.
3. Pour this onto the boiling onions, add raisins and stir thoroughly.
4. Allow this to cook over a low heat until onions are soft.
5. When fish is fried and still warm, place in a deep dish and pour over the curry sauce.
6. Allow to stand for 2 days in the refrigerator before using.